Did you ever have trouble with your ice maker at home? Did you know that you can do troubleshooting to icemaker on your own? We all have icemakers at our home and often things can go south for your icemaker. When this kind of problem occurs, you will see that your icemaker stops making ice. So, what is the best solution that you can come up in this situation?
In this post, we are going to tell you about different ice maker problems, and we would provide you with exact solutions to these problems. We hope that our guidance and assistance will make you a DIY enthusiast because troubleshooting an ice maker is not a rocket science.
What Will You Do When Your Ice Maker Doesn’t Make Ice?
First of all, you should check your supply line to see if there is any swing into motion. If you hear a buzz, let’s say for around 10 seconds, you have to understand that the water valve is not getting the required amount of water. In that case, you should know that the water valve along with the solenoid is okay. However, there is a problem with the water supply. Make sure the water supply line is not kinked or gone under the refrigerator.
Now you should be looking into the ice mold to see whether it’s filled with big-sized ice. If this is the case, the problem might occur because of the electrical connection or water supply fill valve which operates the entire system. To make sure the problem is solved, you can do a test by making a ‘Jumper.’ Before applying this test, you should know that you have to be comfortable with using electricity. Now, start testing the icemaker by stripping the ends of a small electrical wire from the jumper. Then you need to insert the bare wire ends to the ‘T’ and ‘H” holes within the motor unit. This will start a cycle manually and test the icemaker.
You will have to check the water line, which blocks the freezer from the backend. Now, you have to find out water shut-off valve that is behind the refrigerator and turn it off. After that, you need to unscrew the copper line (which you will find from the backend of the refrigerator) and then you will put the copper line into a bucket. Finally, you should turn on the valve to see if water pours out from it.
What If My Ice Maker Doesn’t Turn Off?
If you find out that your ice maker is making ice continuously, you should do the following –
- To shut off the ice maker, you will pick up the bail wire and take away the ice bin with a screwdriver. Now, you have to clean it thoroughly and reinstall it for use.
- If you see that the problem is happening again, you should replace the ice maker and valve. You can do replace it by yourself, or you can hire an appliance repair expert to fix it for you. Remember that is better to replace than to repair the unit.
What Should I do If The Ice Maker Is Frozen Up?
Troubleshooting your ice maker is easy, especially if it’s frozen up. Follow the below steps to solve this problem –
- Before repairing the ice maker, you should disconnect the refrigerator, or you can switch off the circuit breaker for cutting off the power supply. Now, you should remove the ice bin and any loose ice from the ice maker and refrigerator.
- In the next step, you will need to find a fill tube, which is similar to a white rubber-like, a hose. Now, you will tear down the small metal clip off the housing unit (which holds the fill tube).
- Now, you should warm the hose along with the surrounding mechanism. You can do this by using a hair dryer. Put the hair dryer on the ice maker and melt any ice that is blocking the unit. Note that you have to be careful because the electricity and water can bring you an electrical shock. Besides, be careful about melting the plastic parts of the ice maker.
To finish off, we would like to say that our above advice can make help you in troubleshooting the ice maker smoothly. However, when you are troubleshooting it on your own, make sure to take some precautionary steps such as – get to know the troubleshoot processes entirely, applying proper pressure or using the right tools for troubleshooting, etc. So, follow the above processes and make things easier for you!